Saturday 27 September 2008

The night sky – an appeal




Look to the night sky in Uganda and you will see everyone’s favourite constellation, Orion, lying prone, instead of standing grand and erect like we’re used to, with his sword protruding magnificently from beneath his belt. If I keep going south, does he stand on his head, sword dangling comically? And if I’m in orbit, could I witness him doing cartwheels? He’s needs to watch out or he’ll stab the Great Bear in the eye.

Office Hours
- Sherwood Forest comes to Uganda!

The other day, my boss was explaining to me his progress with finding a guard for our site. Getting ones with guns turned out to be prohibitively expensive, so he suggested getting ones with bows and arrows. He didn’t seem to understand what I found so funny.

Friendometer


The source of the world’s longest river, the Nile, is to be found at Jinja, where I spent the weekend. (I’ve thrown a stick into the river for anyone who’s planning a holiday to Egypt and wants to play international Pooh sticks). Jinja is a pretty chilled out place and the people are much more laid back than nearby capital Kampala – a good place, then, to notch up some companions on the friendometer.

Everyone seemed to be called David. David no. 1 was a guy of around my age. He took me all around the rapids where silly people pay hundreds of dollars to float downstream on an overgrown inflatable. He then took me via a load of villages to see where they’re building the new dam, which will put everything I’d just walked through under water when they finish it.

The next day I met David no. 2, a teenager who had cottoned on to the benefits of befriending the prolific Muzungu tourists. He didn’t go anywhere without his trusty stick – once a fishing rod but now a versatile instrument able to perform as a cattle prod, golf club, punchbag, imitation motorbike handlebars, and no doubt several other functions that I wasn’t there long enough to witness.



Close Encounters of the African Kind


As I clambered on the rocks around the mighty Nile, my insatiable curiosity drew me to explore a narrow path leading into some bushes. I met a guy on his way out, who stopped me with the following words: “Don’t go there. They go there to defecate. It is a bad place.” How charmingly he illustrated the importance of seeking local advice.

Special feature
– volunteer Jo’s latest Close Encounters.


Since we last heard about volunteer Jo’s unfortunate experiences with weirdos, she has been accosted by a man with a beer bottle down his trousers, and chased down the street with a note detailing a phone number and the words “I am Indian”. My goodness.

Competition time


My uncle Simon is about 2 light years behind everyone else:
"In case nobody rose to the challenge, the letter you missed out of your blog was k which is ironic as it is silent in many words!"
Ironic enough to receive a point, in my opinion. Many of you will have also noticed that the blog has received a comment from my gran. There can’t be many grans who could even tell you what a blog is, whereas mine is so down with the kids that she’s calling things “xxxxxxxxxciting”. Definitely worth a point.

Ben 2

Julia 1

Nigel’s Dad 1

Uncle Simon 1

Nigel’s Gran 1

Despite all this gratuitous dishing out of points for anything and everything, I am actually making some genuine glaring errors of fact that are being completely overlooked. You are all disappointing me. It’s almost as if you’ve got better things to do.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Competition SOLUTION!
The people must be really silly to think they'd get a ride with dollars....tell 'em it's Ugandan shillings preferably in small change....we're learning?!
Hope I get my points back after Ben rumbled the mistaken allocation. I was devastated especially as he's winning.
What's the prize by the way?
Love Mum

Anonymous said...

do we get a point for being the first cousins to leave a comment? =D. Fish n chips look disgusting where you are, are you missing nice food, mmm battered cod!

Missing Granny's birthday party - unlucky. More cake for us!

Keep on eating nasty food

lots of love

Robert, Lydia and Eleanor

xxxxx

Anonymous said...

you need to make sure we are mentioned in the next blog! Otherwise we will be disappointed and we might have to bring up a certain cheque you owe us...

Robert, Eleanor and Lydia

Mongolmonk said...

Ok so I won't point out the unnecessary full stop in the previous entry, as that really is a pedantry too far. But looking at the bigger picture it's almost uncanny how each 'entry' is shorter than the last, while the combined wordcount of your 'regular features' is rising rapidly. I fear we will soon have one sentance entries with pages of friendometer stuff below. (Not that that's not interesting...)

I'm sure I'm missing the point, but that's fine - I'll stick to what I'm good at.

Anonymous said...

Reluctant as I am to stoop to playing this game, it seems it is left to me to point out that the brain is not, in fact, a muscle.

Happy Birthday. :)


David

Followers