Sunday 5 October 2008

Never admit it's your birthday

My birthday started badly when I got to the airport to pick up our boss from the UK only to find someone else had already got him. When I got back to the office I was just getting into the swing of my angry rant about the lack of communication in the organisation when Sylvia poured a jug of water over my head. This doused my fury somewhat.

Thanks to all of you who gave me your birthday good wishes (especially those of the more conventional variety).



Working Hours

The Holy Scriptures (aka Gannt chart) said that we should be starting to dig foundations on the site on Tuesday, but we still didn’t have a site plan to tell us where. That’s how I ended up walking around a big field in the dark on Monday night, in a thunderstorm, wearing someone else’s size 13 wellies, measuring the distance between trees. I always wanted to be an architect so drawing the little buildings onto the map later made it all worth it, even though I did get back home at midnight.

Friendometer

Miss Belinda Crombie of Manchester wins the prize for the first non-Nigel’s-parent to venture a phonecall to Uganda, thus proving that (a) it is possible and (b) you don’t need to be a millionaire. I am therefore expecting the rest of you to follow suit. Billy wins the traditional prize, currently coveted by Lizzie, of a shout out in my blog, catapulting her to the heady heights of international celebrity.

Close Encounters of the African Kind

A catastrophic mechanical failure on the motorbike left me stranded on the other side of town late at night. This had nothing at all to do with my neglecting to fill it up with petrol.

Competition Time

Thank goodness someone knows that the brain is not a muscle. Sadly it does not get bigger with use. So my brother wins his first point (at last!).

Ben 2

Julia 1

Nigel’s Dad 1

Uncle Simon 1

Nigel’s Gran 1

Brother David 1

There is still another brightly shining error that shockingly nobody has noticed. Just think what misleading information I could publish against such an absence of editorial rigour! In the face of such incompetence I am considering changing the competition from the flopped ‘spot the deliberate mistake’ to a caption competition (which will probably be much more fun anyway). So as a trial run let’s see what you can come up with for this bizarre specimen:



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Behind you!!!

Inspector Clouseau sends his regards.

Love Mum

Anonymous said...

What we really want to know is
what were you doing on the other side of town late at night?
given the picture is obviously the following day....
Thinks, 'what did I get up my trousers the other night'

Anonymous said...

Caption: "Quick! let's piss off and leave him while he's messing around with his clipboard..."

Happy Birthday for the...1st? Dude =)

Anonymous said...

Hi Nigel,

Missing Uganda a lot, and thought I'd have a look what's going on...

Couldn't help noticing (spot the geographer) that you put Nile as the longest river in the world but in recent years it had been 'discovered' that the Amazon is about 300km longer (although this is highly contested etc)! Anyway, hope that this wins a point, and think I should have got one or two already for providing you with so much blog material! Definitely not missing the attention!

Hope its all going - what?..going well,
Jo x

Followers